Friday, May 27, 2011

Video for the Voice engineer

Having done Cisco voice over IP for the last 10 or so years, this video thing is really cramping my style.  First and foremost, change is difficult.  I was comfortable with voice, why go and add a whole new set of things to learn?  It's a CCIE Voice #forgoodnesssakes, not a CCIE Video.  Now who moved my cheese.

Secondly, the wave of new products added by the Tandberg acquisition are all VASTLY different than what we're use to.  Why is that you might ask?  Because these products are all easy to use, with very limited tweaking available for any type of complex solution.  In a nutshell, these products haven't been convoluted by Cisco just yet (you mean the licensing from Tandberg is easy? Yes, crazy talk.), and it's odd to login to an intuitive interface and actually accomplish what you set out to.

Obviously I'm being harsh (read bitter) here, but I see a lot of promise in the Tandberg products.  Over the next few months, I'll be learning lots more about the Video Communication Server (VCS), TelePresence Management Suite (TMS), Codian MCU's, and of course all the wonderful variety of endpoints.  In all seriousness, I'm excited about the direction that the collaboration engine is moving, and definitely look forward to being one of the guys riding this train.

No comments: